Aug 02, 2013 - Published in Newsletter
Aquatech's pumping system securely transfers a corrosive effluent at WWTP: Why It Worked
Installing a successful temporary bypass pumping system.
Project: Waste Water Treatment Plant, Ash Lagoon Pumping
Reason for Job: Install a temporary bypass pumping system to securely transfer Ash with a low PH of 3.6 from the existing lagoon to the plant to be processed.
Project Challenges: The very low PH of the material to be transferred would cause an accelerated corrosion of any standard steel pipe and pumps, creating the likelihood of significant leaks in the pumping system and in turn the potential for negative environmental impacts as the effluent is deemed hazardous.
Aquatech’s Solution: Due to the critical nature of the bypass, Aquatech employed the use of HDPE material for the suction and discharge piping as well as two Global 8" Bypass Pumps equipped with specialized CD4 material centrifugal pump ends, these materials significantly increase the resistance to the highly corrosive nature of the effluent being transferred. To avoid pumping solids from the pond base, which also can contribute to an accelerated corrosion of the pump, Aquatech also utilized another specialty product, Neptune Pipe Float devices. These devices were placed on the suction pipe of the system allowing the 12" HDPE Pipe to float atop the pond and therefore avoid pumping any material from the pond bottom.
The system has proven to be a properly engineered solution, it has successful and securely been transferring the material to the plant as required. No leaks developed and as such there has been no negative environmental impact.
Length of application: It will be in place for approximately 4 months.
Recent News Posts
- 30/08/16 - Our HDPE Services Create a Sustainable Solution for All Infrastructures ... Read More
- 02/08/13 - Aquatech Emergency Response Services Provide You With Peace of Mind, 24 Hours a Day, 7... Read More
- 02/08/13 - Aquatech Installs A Successful Temporary Sanitary Force Main Bypass... Read More
- 02/08/13 - Aquatech's pumping system securely transfers a corrosive effluent at WWTP: Why It Worked... Read More
- Press releases
- Keep Building Knowledge of Environmental Regulation...
- Aquatech Dewatering expands services into Newfoundland and Labrador...
- Aquatech Dewatering Opens New Branch In Sudbury, Ontario...
- Stormwater Bypass and Treatment Project Protects Sensitive Cold...
- Organic Pumping and Treatment Solution...
- Aquatech Team Springs to Action...
- Aquatech, Supporting the Growth of Industry...
- Aquatech Answers Call from Environmental Agencies to Support...